Monday, January 3, 2022

Improving on the Already Terrific NFL RedZone

NFL RedZone is one of the best inventions in the history of professional football, but there are ways that it could be even better. 

One of the things I find myself doing constantly during NFL Sundays is checking my phone to see how my fantasy team is playing. Am I winning my matchup? Has my player's long TD catch been accounted for yet? How many points, exactly, do my players have?

It's because RedZone only shows total fantasy points for full PPR leagues that I end up checking on that last question. But what if RedZone included point totals for multiple types of fantasy leagues? (1) Including half PPR totals on the bottom line during the broadcast in addition to full PPR stats would give fans easier access to a more diverse array of fantasy numbers.

And why stop there? NFL Network's marketing department can go to work to find out which fantasy formats are most popular or growing and cater to their largest fan bases the most while also spending time calculating stats for even the most unique scoring formats.

Maybe in the future the NFL will even develop its programming so fans can customize the stats they see while watching RedZone. Then every fan could get exactly what they ask for, and perhaps RedZone would increase its reported weekly viewership of 1 to 1.5 million (2). The sky is the limit for NFL RedZone when it comes to fantasy football.

1- Let's be honest, I'd still be checking my fantasy team on my phone, even if RedZone added these features.

2 - According to The Athletic's Richard Deitsch in "The Future of NFL RedZone beyond episode No. 200: Media Circus": NFL RedZone

No comments:

Post a Comment